I am on a Nutella kick. Nutella on toast, on bananas, in banana bread, in cream cheese, in yogurt….a Nutella sammie…u get the idea. So I thought, hey, maybe a pumpkin Nutella pound cake in honor of National Pound Cake Day! Pound cakes are traditionally heavy and a bit fat laden so I lighted up this recipe with applesauce and Stevia which made room for those few extra Nutella calories. Brilliant!
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
Recipe Notes: I replaced half of the oil with applesauce, replaced one cup of sugar with Stevia (for baking), added 1/4 cup dried cranberries and swirled a 1/4 cup of melted Nutella into the batter once it was in the pan.
Results: Very moist with a small ribbon of creamy Nutella and a tart pop of cranberry here and there.
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- Confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, combine sugar (or Stevia), applesauce (if substituting for oil) and oil until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cloves; add to egg mixture alternately with pumpkin, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack. Remove pan and cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- I made a simple yogurt topping of 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar and a tablespoon of Nutella. Stir and chill until ready to use.
- Yield: 12-16 servings.
Linked to: Sweets for a Saturday, Saturday Swap, Tatertots and Jello, At the Picket Fence, Decidedly Healthy, Sundae Scoop, Hodgepodge Friday, Cookbook Sundays, Recipe Swap Sunday, Potluck Sunday, Sundays at One, Not Baaad Sundays, Seasonal Sundays, Mouthwatering Mondays, Sumos Sweet Stuff, Something I Whipped Up, Made By You Monday, Whipperberry Friday Flair, Homemaker Mondays, Your Recipe, My Kitchen, Eats Well with Others, Meals on Monday, Friday 1ST, Happy Housewife, All Things Related, Tasty Tuesday, Sweet Tooth Friday