Yesterday I made lemoncello. I patiently peeled 14 lemons for the sole purpose of having a batch of homemade lemoncello for tea, ice cream, berries, and well…yes, to drink. This left me with 14 lemons for “another use”.
What could I make? Dinner and dessert? Yes. Lemon Asparagus Pasta with Lemon Cream Tart!
And….the best part is that I still have lemons for “another use” so tomorrow I will make lemon scones with lemon curd.
Lemon Creme Tart
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons stick margarine
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups reduced-fat vanilla wafer crumbs (about 36 cookies)
- Cooking spray
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-fat sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated skim milk)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Mint leaves (optional)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine first 3 ingredients; beat at high-speed of a mixer until blended. Add crumbs; toss with a fork until moist.
Press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch round tart pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack.
Combine eggs, milk, lemon rind, and juice in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Pour mixture into prepared crust. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until filling is set. Let cool completely.
Lemon Asparagus Pasta
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta
- 2 cups (1-inch) sliced asparagus
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino romano cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions (omit salt and fat).
2. Add asparagus to pasta during last 3 minutes of cooking time; drain.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients, and serve immediately.